Overweight and Obesity
In the Western world, patients with trisomy 21 have a high risk of overweight and obesity. Almost 1 in 2 children and 3 in 4 adults are affected, i.e. the risk is 2-3 times higher than in the general population. This risk appears early, increases with age and often remains as people get older. It is higher for women than men.
In this video and accompanying technical sheet, Dr. Hervé Walti, a pediatrician at the Jérôme Lejeune Institute, tells you more about: the critical periods of life for weight gain, the often self-aggravating risk factors, the consequences, and the ways to recognize and, of course, prevent it.
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.
- Alexander M, Petri H, Ding Y, Wandel C, Khwaja O, Foskett N. Morbidity and medication in a large population of individuals with Down syndrome compared to the general population. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2016 Mar;58(3):246-54. doi: 10.1111/dmcn.12868. Epub 2015 Aug 18. PMID: 26282180.
- Bertapelli F, Pitetti K, Agiovlasitis S, Guerra-Junior G. Overweight and obesity in children and adolescents with Down syndrome-prevalence, determinants, consequences, and interventions: A literature review. Res Dev Disabil. 2016 Oct;57:181-92. doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2016.06.018. Epub 2016 Jul 19. PMID: 27448331.
- Hatch-Stein JA, Zemel BS, Prasad D, Kalkwarf HJ, Pipan M, Magge SN, Kelly A. Body Composition and BMI Growth Charts in Children With Down Syndrome. Pediatrics. 2016 Oct;138(4):e20160541. doi: 10.1542/peds.2016-0541. Epub 2016 Sep 14. PMID: 27630073; PMCID: PMC5051207.
- Mircher C, Briceño LG, Toulas J, Conte M, Tanguy ML, Cieuta-Walti C, Rethore MO, Ravel A. Growth curves for French people with Down syndrome from birth to 20 years of age. Am J Med Genet A. 2018 Dec;176(12):2685-2694. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.40639. Epub 2018 Dec 20. PMID: 30569664.
- Pierce M, Ramsey K, Pinter J. Trends in Obesity and Overweight in Oregon Children With Down Syndrome. Glob Pediatr Health. 2019 Apr 2;6:2333794X19835640. doi: 10.1177/2333794X19835640. PMID: 31044152; PMCID: PMC6446252.
- Ravel A, Mircher C, Rebillat AS, Cieuta-Walti C, Megarbane A. Feeding problems and gastrointestinal diseases in Down syndrome. Arch Pediatr. 2020 Jan;27(1):53-60. doi: 10.1016/j.arcped.2019.11.008. Epub 2019 Nov 26. PMID: 31784293.
- Susan M Havercamp, Marc J. Tassé , Patricia Navas, Betsey A Benson, Dawn Allain, Kandamurugu Manickam. Exploring the Weight and Health Status of Adults with Down Syndrome Journal of Education and Training Studies 5, No. 6; June 2017,97-108